Friday, April 28, 2006
I found out yesterday that I am totally broke. For that reason, I don't think I am going to be going out for the next couple of weekends. Or at least until I get reimbursed for school. That tuition bill is going to hurt. And it happens to fall right when I need to pay rent. Boo.
Thursday, April 27, 2006
Wednesday, April 26, 2006
I love my job, I love the pay!
I love it more and more each day!
I love my boss, she is the best!
I love her boss, and all the rest!
I love my office and its location, I hate to go on vacation.
I love my furniture, drab and grey, and piles of paper that grow each day!
I think my job is really swell, there's nothing else I love so well.
I love to work among my peers, I love their leers, and jeers, and sneers.
I love my computer and its software;
I hug it often though it won't care. I love each program and every file.
I'd love them more if they worked a while.
I'm happy to be here, I am. I am.
I'm the happiest slave of my job, I am.
I love this work, I love these chores.
I love the meetings with deadly bores.
I love my job- I'll say it again - I even love those friendly men.
Those friendly men who've come today,
In clean white coats to take me away!
Tuesday, April 25, 2006
Sunday, April 23, 2006
I watched two really good movies lately. The first was The Exorcism of Emily Rose. It was not at all like The Exorcist. It actually had a really good storyline to it and is not just some chick in a bed freaking out. It is pretty scary though in some parts. The other movie I watched was In Her Shoes. I almost didn't want to watch it because I read the book...and I always get annoyed when they change everything up for movies. But it was actually really really good and the girl that plays Rose is hilarious. I really liked it. If you haven't seen it, I recommend. Read the book, too! Boys beware though--it is a serious chick flick.
Friday, April 21, 2006
Let's see..what can I say that is interesting. Well, the president of China came to visit us in D.C. yesterday. Not only did he spend some time with George W., he apparently had dinner with Bill Gates (he went to Seattle first). Could you imagine being a billionare like Bill Gates and, I don't know, having the president of CHINA over for dinner?
Thursday, April 20, 2006
Wednesday, April 19, 2006
This week I decided that other than grocery shopping and laundry on Monday (necessities), I was not going to put anything on my to-do list that I can possibly avoid. I looked at my planner from last week and I thought to myself, wow, I need to slow down. And take a week off. So I have decided to stop putting off my procrastination.
I read something interesting last Saturday in Glamour magazine. The new Chilean president, Michele Bachelet, is the first female president in her country. She is a pediatrician and has three kids. She is separated from her husband and had one of her kids while she wasn't married. What is astounding is that divorce was only legalized in Chile two years ago. The Chilean people elected her in part because of her "courageous opposition to the oppressive military regime that ran Chile from 1973 to 1990." On top of that, she has publicly forgiven the people that held her hostage and tortured her (the same regime). Now she is an impressive woman.
For all of the females out there, and maybe even some concerned men, I think it is worth mentioning this article (also in the May issue of Glamour): The New Lies About Women's Health. Please, please, please read this article. It is so very important to have this information. It is so very important to have all of the information about our health (both sides of the story) since it seems to be such a political issue. It is kind of long, but definitely worth the time. What is more important than your life?
Monday, April 17, 2006
I'm sitting here trying to do my homework and I just cannot get over how annoying it is. They gave us a list of 30 elements of systems engineering, and we have to come up with 3 more that should be included! There are already 30! I just can't think of anything else; all of the bases are covered! Isn't that the point!? Can you tell I am annoyed and fired up about this? The last day of this class is May 9 and I am so happy. Our project has been at a stand still and now we have so little time to do anything we are going to be busting our asses for the rest of the time we are in class. Our professor told us that the next class has math in it and all I could think was, "Thank God!" I like math because it is cut and dry. No gray areas. :o)
Friday, April 14, 2006
Well, I guess my point is that it made me realize how truly blessed I am to have been lucky enough to go to college, get a good job, and afford the luxuries that I have today. I'm worrying about buying furniture while 30 million people are worrying about whether they will be able to eat tomorrow.
It gave me food for thought.
Thursday, April 13, 2006
As for the words of advice from Missy:
1. Do not have a pet if you are poor. It will end up costing you infinitely more money than you could ever ever fathom. As I said before, I am getting my cat de-clawed. Since he needed his annual exam, as well as a vaccination that he was due for, anesthesia, and they have to keep him for observation... Let's just say it is costing me an arm and a leg. About DOUBLE what I originally budgeted it to cost. The good thing is that I have money in savings but I am still in shock from getting the bill yesterday. Ugh. What can I do though? If I didn't de-claw him he would destroy everything!
2. In general, it isn't a good idea to advertise yourself as an asshole that makes snap judgments about people based solely on their looks. Or for that matter to be an asshole that makes snap judgments about people based solely on their looks. But I realize that that is asking a lot, so I am sticking to the point that you might just want to keep it to yourself. Recently, I met a girl that said to me (within the first 30 minutes of meeting her), "Oh, you're actually really cool. When I first saw you, I thought since you are pretty that you were definitely a huge bitch." Um, no my dear, you are actually the one that needs to reexamine your judgmental personality tendencies if you already have me pegged as a snob just because you deem me as an attractive female. Duh. That's not the first time someone has said something idiotic like that to me, either. So what is she saying, unattractive people are nice? I feel sorry for all of the really bitchy unattractive people out there that are being inappropriately labeled as nice, too.
Tuesday, April 11, 2006
1. Joe lives here. :o)
2. There is so much to do!
3. The nightlife is awesome, as well as the nearby nightlife in D.C.
4. Winters are mild.
5. My sweet apartment.
6. My fun work friends.
7. Lots of historical sightseeing in D.C and surrounding cities.
8. Public transportation. Even though it takes forever, at least it is available and reliable.
9. Hot summers.
10. It's cheap to fly to Detroit.
11. It really feels like home now. Can you believe it has been just over 2 years?!
Things I Don't Like About Virginia:
1. No Chrissy, Jackie, Lindsay, Sara, or the rest of my family.
2. Traffic is crazy.
3. Everything is more expensive. It is damn near impossible to buy a house.
4. No carwashes anywhere!
5. Liquor is only sold at ABC stores.
6. Nobody watches hockey.
7. Humidity can get pretty awful during the summer.
8. People say "soda" instead of "pop."
9. People tease me for my Mid-west accent. :o)
Hey, I love it here! Even those things I don't like don't hold a candle to how much I like living here (except for the #1 thing I don't like, boo)! Yay D.C.! :o)
Monday, April 10, 2006
If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives.
If you are successful, you will win some false friends and some true enemies.
If you are honest and sincere, people may deceive you.
What you spend years creating, someone could destroy overnight.
If you find serenity and happiness, some may be jealous.
The good you do today people will often forget tomorrow.
Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough.
You see, in the final analysis, it is between you and God.
Saturday, April 08, 2006
We went to see the new furniture that I am buying today too! For my living room. I am so excited. Sadly for my kitty though, I have to get him declawed before I buy it. I know, I'm mean.
Tonight we are going out somewhere around Fairfax because it is freaking cold, rainy and disgusting outside. Ew. We don't feel like going out in the city. That's all I have to say for now! :)
Wednesday, April 05, 2006
I'm about to go to happy hour with some of my girls from work. It's Wednesday...only two more days until the weekend! :)