Thursday, April 12, 2007

Double Standards Abound

Why is it that just beacause I am a woman, I am expected to be cheerful, bubbly and overly enthusiastic about my job or I am judged as being uninterested? Why is it that just because I am a female, if I act overly happy or bubbly, people would just think I am an idiot and not take me seriously? Why is it that just because I am a female I am expected to be miss-pretty-nice-nice all the time? Why is it that when females in the workplace take a stand and push issues, they are judged as being bitchy and overly aggressive?

If a man were sitting in a meeting with a straight face, would another man ask why he didn't look happy, interested, or cheerful? Would another man ask why he wasn't smiling?

If a man were asserting his ideas in a meeting, and taking a stand for what he thought was right, would another man later on question whether he was just having an "emotional day"?

I don't think so.

No comments: