Saturday, October 02, 2010

Weekend Yummy
Peach Cobbler Oatmeal

  • 1 packet plain instant oatmeal
  • 1 cup diced peaches
  • 1/2 tbsp Benefiber
  • 1/2 tbsp vanilla whey protein powder 
  • Hot water or milk (as much as you need to achieve consistency that you prefer)
  • Dash cinnamon
  • Brown sugar to taste
Sift together the oatmeal, cinnamon, protein powder and Benefiber. Mix in the hot water or milk, and finally the peaches. Sprinkle the brown sugar on top.

I eat a variation on this recipe every morning at work for breakfast – I can keep all of the ingredients in my desk drawer (re: yesterday's post). It’s so easy and also good for you! Using plain oatmeal allows you to add only the amount of sugar that you want - most of the flavored instant oatmeal contains wayyyyyy too much sugar. (Remember that article I posted about the breakfast food?) You can substitute almost any diced fruit in this recipe and it is just as good. If I don’t have any fresh fruit on hand, I use the canned fruit that I keep in my desk drawer. Thawed frozen fruit also works.

A note on canned fruit – why do they always have to add a ton of sugar to it? I usually get the No Sugar Added Del Monte Diced Peaches (they are sweetened with splenda), but seriously, unless I’m blind…I cannot find any canned fruit that doesn’t have some sort of sweetener. I always prefer fresh fruit, but sometimes it’s just not in the cards and having the canned fruit is a convenient backup.

A note on Benefiber - you may have noticed that I add it to a lot of my recipes. You can’t taste it at all and it is a really good way to get some extra fiber in your diet! Also on that note, here is an interesting article: The Truth About Fiber

No comments: