Saturday, May 14, 2011

Weekend Yummy
Guest Post - Greek Turkey Burgers

Hello to all of those out there in Missy's Blog-O-Sphere!!!  I'm Jessie, one of Missy's DC friends and she graciously asked me and some of her other buddies here on the east coast to guest blog for her.  Unfortunately that was about 2 or 3 months ago, and being the worst friend ever, I am finally getting around to sharing one of my favorite recipes!  I give you delicious and healthy Greek Turkey Burgers.  


I adapted this recipe from the Wegman's recipe I love.  You can find the original recipe here.  This is also where I borrowed the picture from. :-D  This recipe is great to experiment with! The original Wegman's recipe has you grill these on high for 10 minutes, but since I don't have a grill, I broil them.  This makes 6 smaller turkey burgers (since turkey has to cook fully, it's better to make smaller burgers so they won't dry out).


1.3 lb Fresh Lean Ground Turkey Breast
1 cup firmly packed baby spinach (1 oz), chopped 
4-6 ozs Crumbled Feta
4-6 Fresh Oregano Leaves, chopped fine

1/2 Medium Vidalia Onion, chopped fine
1 tsp Olive Oil
Crushed Red Pepper
Salt and Pepper6 Tbsp roasted red pepper hummus, divided in Tbsp servings
6 leaves red leaf lettuce 
1 small cucumber, cut into thin slices 
6 Arnold Select Sandwich Thins



Preheat Broiler.


Combine turkey breast, chopped baby spinach, crumbled feta, chopped oregano, chopped onion, olive oil in a bowl.  Add a pinch or two of salt and pepper, and some crushed red pepper to taste (I usually do 2 shakes of the container).


Shape the mixture into 6 thin patties, about the diameter of the sandwich thin.

Cook 10-15 minutes, flipping halfway through.  Use a meat thermometer to ensure the internal temperature has reached 165 degrees. Or do what I do, and cut one open and look for pink!


Put 1 Tbsp of roasted red pepper hummus on each sandwich thin.   Place turkey burger, lettuce and a few slices of cucumber on each sandwich thin and enjoy!

No comments: