Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Wedding Wednesday :-D
Let's Panic About Engagment Photos!

When we initially booked our wedding photographer, I didn’t even think I wanted engagement photos. I saw them as a bonus part to our package. I understood reasons for getting them, but I also felt like they were just another expenditure tacked onto an already incredibly costly event.

What’s ridiculous is that as they approached, I had a mini-panic attack about them. Why? I don’t know! I think it was a combination of wanting them to turn out really nice (duh), thinking they were important (??), and thinking that it was our only chance (chance for what?!). When would we ever get professional photos again? And they’d never be right before our wedding again! And what if we use them for gifts for parents, etc.? And what if we use them for Christmas Cards? And what if we use them for save-the-dates? What should we wear? What if I break out, or have bad hair? Ah!

Never mind the fact that I wasn’t even planning on sending out save-the-dates, and up until now I’ve been taking a photo with our cheap little camera for our Christmas Cards – and they’ve been just freakin’ fine. Helllooooooo.

So when the day finally arrived, I have to admit that I totally lost perspective about how important the engagement photo session was (i.e. inflated the importance a looootttt), but I also discovered afterwards that it was valuable for other reasons – ones that actually pertain to our wedding day itself (duh). For one thing, we got to experience having a big fancy camera trained on us for hours (how do celebs stand it?). I felt sorta silly sometimes, like I didn’t know what to do – I wish I would have had a glass of wine first! Secondly, it pretty much solidified my decision to wear my hair up on the big day. While I loved having it loose for the engagement photos, I was annoyed and worrying about it the entire time. Dumb, I know…but what can I say? So, wedding day = UPDO! = less stress about stupid crap! Third, it actually was really nice to meet our photographer and get to know her a little. Since we spent some time together, it’ll feel more like a friend photographing us on our actual wedding day.

And...I was really glad I wore my fancy shoes. :-D LOL.

If anything I think the experience will help me not worry (or worry less?) about the stupid wedding day pictures, and focus more on the fact that they should just be a nice keepsake to remember the moment when we became man and wife, and committed our lives to each other in front of God, our families, and our friends.

Cripes, this post makes me feel like a bridezilla! LOL.

6 comments:

Kate said...

Well, are you going to post theses engagement photos? :)

Missy said...

lol yes! i should be getting the CD any day now :-D

Lindsay said...

I agree! I started to stress out and then I just decided that they would be just fine even if every hair on my head wasn't precisely placed! they were actually alot of fun! :) I'm glad u wore your fancy shoes too! I want some!!!!

Shauna said...

Totally have a glass of wine... or two... or three... Go with the flow and enjoy the moment! I know it sounds silly, but you don't want look back and remember you stressing constantly instead of enjoying yourself. You are beautiful. You will look beautiful! Your pictures are beautiful! :)

Missy said...

awww thank you!!! :-D

Missy said...

you guys are right!