Tuesday, May 01, 2012

L.O.V.E. Delivery Awesomeness

Recently, Robbie and I signed up for LOVE Delivery and I am OBSESSED. I love it! Is that a pun? HA! “L.O.V.E.” stands for Los Angeles Organic Vegetable Express, and it is a service that delivers fresh organic produce to your front door.

We subscribed to the 2/3 Veggies Small Box to be delivered every week (so 2/3 of the box is veggies and 1/3 is fruit). It is $28 per week. They charge you for an entire month up front though, so it was $112 upfront, plus $10 for the box that they deliver it in (you return the box and get that money back if you decide to stop using the service).

We get our deliveries on Tuesday. Every Friday, I get an email detailing the contents of our box. Then I have the option to login to our account and remove and add items. For example, one week we didn’t need beets, so I deleted those and replaced them with bananas. We put our empty box outside our apartment door on Monday night, and they come and pick it up on Tuesday and replace it with a new box full of our produce.

This produce is FRESH. Like, the dirt is still on it when you get it. It is from local farms (when at all possible – for some items it is not possible) and meets all the regulations for organic produce. I love that there is such a variety, and sometimes I get things in my box that I might never think to buy, but once I see it on the list, I usually think that it’d be fun and maybe I’ll find a new recipe to try out!  Or maybe I’ll throw it in my juicer and see how it goes. I’ve read so often that it’s great to have a variety for rounded nutrition, and this really helps!

I had heard about this a while ago from a friend in Virginia that had signed up for a similar service in her local area. I hadn’t signed up because I thought that even the small box might be too much for one person. Now that I have a two person household that is not a problem anymore (also, see note below…)! Yay!

A few notes:

-    When I first got the small box it seemed really small. I thought there was no way it would last us an entire week. But really, I eat tons of veggies and fruits and it seemed like before I knew it, it was time for our next box!

-    You always have fresh produce and you don’t have to go grocery shopping every week. I can’t stand grocery shopping. LOL.

-    Conveniently, if you don’t want to sign up for an entire month you can start with just one trial box

-    You can pick “never sends” and “always sends” on your account – like please never send me anise (sick!), please always send me apples! And they automatically tailor your box accordingly.

-    There is an option to stop your deliveries if you are going to be out of town, thank goodness (all done online).

-    This service offers options for delivery frequency (i.e. every week, every other week, etc.); I do think that it would even be okay for one person if you got it less frequently. I think a delivery of the small box every other week would have been perfect for me when I was living alone, too. But as I mentioned before, I do eat a ton of fruit and veggies and I do juice often (which uses a lot of produce).

-    I really think that this – surprisingly – is a pretty affordable option for getting fresh, organic produce. I never bought organic before because it would cost me an arm and a leg to get all the produce I wanted. This totally replaces all produce that I would buy at the grocery store except for a few onesie-twosie things that I get for juicing or for unplanned recipes that I decide to make.  I usually pick up extra apples and because I like using A LOT OF THEM for juicing.

Here are some pics of our first two boxes.

This is what it looks like when it gets delivered (first box).


First Box


Second Box

No comments: